5 Ways to Get on TV Before Your Competition Does
“Boot, saddle, to horse, and away!” — Robert Browning
If one of your 2021 resolutions was to grow your business through earned media appearances, it’s time to get moving! Here are 5 tips for coming out strong:
- Understand the news cycle: It seems obvious, but you’d be surprised at how many people who say they want to be in the news don’t actually watch the news. You have to be a good consumer of any media you want to be interviewed by if you want to be successful. Know what stories they’re covering, the types of guests they use and watch for what you could offer that they don’t already have.
- Offer something new: In a 24-hour news cycle, producers are constantly looking for new ways to cover the big stories, even when nothing much has changed. If you can offer an angle no one has covered yet, you’ll be their new best friend.
- Make relationships, not contacts: Don’t just connect with journalists on social media and think that constitutes a relationship. Interact with them. Comment on their stories, share their posts. This is especially true of relationships with the reporter at your local affiliate. They probably have their eyes set on a spot at the network, which makes it a relationship worth keeping.
- Highlight your unique point of view: Tell a story that shows why you’re the one to discuss this issue instead of the many other experts being offered. Are you a campaign strategist who faced an issue similar to the one in the news? Are you an attorney who had a case just like the one in the headlines?
- Hire a professional: The best thing you can do to beat the competition is hire the experts – US!